Pull the Next Woman Up*: Eager to Welcome Naomi Chazan

Have you seen the new Wonder Woman movie? I have been thinking about Wonder Woman this week, because of some recent news commentary.  The Israeli Woman who sued El Al airlines for sexism won her landmark case.  She had been told to change her seat because an Orthodox man wanted...

Continue reading

What is Old, Make New; What is New, Make Holy*

I am so pleased to share with our RS congregants: “Lunch with Rabbi Maderer– Engaging with our New Senior Rabbi.” The Rodeph Shalom community and I have shared a brit, a relationship, for a long time. Already for almost 16 years, we have studied Torah, celebrated Shabbat and holidays,...

Continue reading

Vision for Our Next Era of Creating Profound Connections

What a profoundly moving season we have shared in our celebrations of Rabbi Kuhn, his legacy and his retirement!  As powerful as our community events have been, the more behind-the-scenes transition process has been important as well.  Rabbi Kuhn’s extraordinary generosity as my career-long mentor has guided the path of...

Continue reading

There is No Hiding from Difference

A rabbi named Francine Green Roston recently moved with her family from New Jersey to Whitefish, Montana, in search of a slower pace of life.  As you can imagine, there are not many Jews in their new small town (although with a name like “Whitefish,” you’d think…) but Rabbi Roston...

Continue reading

“Praise God, even if God takes your life”

Thank you to RS Board member David Mandell, ScD, for offering these words on the post-election world, gratitude, and a congregational learning opportunity. “Praise God, even if God takes your life” I am heartbroken by the results of the presidential election. I alternate between deep mourning and rage. Yesterday morning...

Continue reading

Opening for Daylight: Seeing Difference this Krystallnacht

Last month, I had the opportunity to watch the movie E.T. as the Philadelphia Orchestra performed the John Williams score live with the screening of the film at the Kimmel Center.  It had been years since I had seen Steven Spielberg’s imaginative masterpiece about a lost alien who is befriended...

Continue reading