Cantor Brad Hyman’s D’var Torah from 12/29 on his Mission Trip to Israel
Videos from the Rally Against Antisemitism
Resources for Combating Jew-Hatred
As our fervent prayers for the hostages continue, and our passion for Israel’s security, compassion for the Palestinians’ suffering, and commitment to a two-State solution remain steadfast, we are seeing increased Jew-hatred here in Philadelphia. From the boycott of some Jewish and Israeli owned-restaurants–some owned by congregants–to the hate speech-filled protests of our congregant’s Goldie restaurant to the testimony of university presidents refusing to affirm that calls for Jewish genocide violate harassment and bullying conduct prohibition, our society’s tolerance and acceptance of Jew hatred demands our response. Rather than affirming 2 states for Israelis and for Palestinians, protesters’ chants of “River to Sea” continue, and although some may not intend this as a genocidal statement, Jews often hear Jew-hatred in these words, knowing that Hamas’ founding document calls not to share but to “obliterate” Israel.
- In settings where you can move the needle, find opportunities to share your experiences with those outside the Jewish community. Deepen your understanding of the history and reality of antisemitism with this recent conversation between Eric Ward and Rabbi Jill Jacobs and with this speech by Senator Chuck Schumer.
- T’ruah Statement with support from Rabbi Jill Maderer and Rabbi Eli Freedman
- To understand anti-semitic tropes
- To spot and push back against anti-Jewish tropes
- To distinguish criticism of Israel from antisemitism
- To understand Hamas’ charter
- To understand Hamas’ history
- To understand why Zionism is not colonialism
- To understand Israel is not an apartheid country (and this video)
- To understand Israel is not committing genocide against the Palestinian people (as well as this article and this video)
- To learn key terms and events of Israel’s history and the conflict
- For a fuller history written by a peace advocate and activist for a two-State Solution: Can We Talk about Israel by Daniel Sokatch
- To understand the Jewish values for a commitment to not only a Jewish State but also a Palestinian State (and Rabbi Maderer’s recent Op-Ed)
- Resources especially helping for parents of children
- Institutions seeking to combat Jew-hatred and other hatred should consider training: the Anti-Defamation League (ADL); our local chapter associate director is Andrea Heymann
- Alternatively, for training/resources especially for progressive-minded communities who want to deepen understanding of Israel/Palestine and antisemitism
- Another training resource for educators and students: Facing History & Ourselves
- Union for Reform Judaism
Support for Israel
To support the protection and rescue of Israelis, the Jewish community has come together with an emergency fund where you may direct your tzedakah. Click here to learn more.
Rabbi Maderer’s speech from the Philly Stands With Israel Rally 10-16-2023
Rabbi Maderer’s D’var Torah from 10-13-2023
Hatikvah at Berkman Mercaz Limud
This video of Berkman Mercaz Limud students and parents singing Hatikvah has been sent to our partner congregation, Achva Bakarem, along with the love and support of our Israel ConnectRS group and our congregation.
A Prayer of Welfare for the State of Israel
by Israeli Reform Rabbi Mira Regev
Our God in heaven and source of life, Rock and redeemer of Israel, strengthen and deliver all who stand on guard protecting their homes, safeguard and save them from any trouble and distress and bless their actions, hear their prayers and ours and deliver them.
Save those who are trapped in their homes, grant them inner strength, faith and hope, bolster them in these terrifying times.
Send Your mercy to the anxious mothers and hurting fathers and the children sitting in shelters.
May it be Your will to remember us, to take notice of us, to meet us with compassion for we trust in You.
Return all those kidnapped safe and sound to their homes, without the spilling of innocent blood, without their souls becoming tarnished by horrific acts.
Strengthen those who protect our Holy Land, soldiers and civilians alike.
We pray “nation shall not lift sword against nation and they will study war no more.”
Compassionate God, please, arouse Your mercy for us, and may the verse be fulfilled: “from the seed of peace the vine shall produce its fruit, the land shall produce its yield, and the skies shall provide their moisture. I will bestow all these things upon you, and you shall be a blessing, have no fear.”