Our Concealed Shortcomings: On Bias and Race

delivered by Rabbi Jill Maderer, Yom Kippur, Congregation Rodeph Shalom      A story I love, from Rabbi Nachman of Brazslav.  A young woman visits her family and shares that she has become a master in the art of menorah making. She asks her parents to invite all of the...

Continue reading

Enfranchising All Voters: This is a Sacred Action

You may have noticed that our country is in a national election season!  As a religious not-for-profit institution, we are very cautious to remain distant from endorsing or opposing candidates or parties.  Although we are permitted to speak about policies, in a polarizing season such as this, it is difficult...

Continue reading

Two States for Two Peoples Demands Not BDS, But Empathy

This week, my 10-year old son reflected with me about a wonderful lesson in his class at Berkman Mercaz Limud (our religious school).  The 4th graders learned about the siren that was sounded throughout Israel two weeks ago for Yom HaShaoh—Holocaust Remembrance Day, and just last week for Yom HaZikaron,...

Continue reading

“Then They Came for the Jews”

I have been horrified and heartbroken to hear hate speech spoken, and worse, accepted without repercussion, in so many circles of American life.  From the anti-Israel and anti-Semitic “scholarship” and responses at my husband’s alma mater, Vassar College, as well as other campuses, to candidates and their followers who scapegoat...

Continue reading

Remembering Refugees at Passover

This Passover (Passover celebration resources, here), as we celebrate our exodus from Egypt as refugees seeking freedom in a promised land, let’s also think of the refugees today escaping the horrors of war and oppression and seeking freedom in the United States.  When you come to RS for services, Berkman...

Continue reading

Passover Resources 2016

Passover is coming!  Are you looking for resources?  Start to eat down your bread, get your post-it’s ready if you’re preparing a seder, and check these out!  A sweet Pesach to all! A family-oriented Haggadah, “Now We Are Free“. The Four Questions, chanted by Cantor Frankel. Social Justice ideas from...

Continue reading

Resources on Mental Illness and Addiction

Thank you to our RS teen, Ella Komita Moussa, for creating this great resource sheet on mental illness and addiction for our evening with Patrick Kennedy Tues., April 12, 7:00pm! file:///C:/Users/Jill/Downloads/RS%20Lecture%20(1).pdf

Continue reading

Out from Mental Illness and Addiction Stigma and Into the Sun

Delivered this Shabbat in anticipation of former Congressman Patrick Kennedy’s upcoming talk at RS about mental health/addiction parity and de-stigmatization.    At some point during my adolescent years, my father came home with a package and presented it to my sister and me.  It was a box of 1000 red pencils,...

Continue reading