Shema: Free Speech & The Citizen’s Freedom to Hear

Our portion of the week, parashat New Hampshire, has gotten me thinking about democracy and free speech. When the campaign results were in on Tues. evening, I watched all of the primary speeches, victory and defeat. Maybe I’m just shmaltzy, but I’m a patriot, and I was moved by most...

Continue reading

Striving for Global Religious Pluralism

“I am a Muslim and I am so honored to be here in this sanctuary.  This would never happen in my country– visiting the home of an other religion. I will bring these lessons back to my country.”  These were the words of one of our guests at our Friday night...

Continue reading

Jewish Community Advocacy Successes

The Jewish Community Relations Council and Government Affairs groups of the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia made great strides in advocacy this year.  Here are 10 of their top successes:  (Pick up the Super Sunday phone call on Feb 21 to show your support!)      At the state, with the PA Jewish Coalition: 1) Secured a $1...

Continue reading

Rabbi Maderer’s Benediction at Mayoral Inauguration

Delivered by Rabbi Jill Maderer, Inauguration of Mayor and City Council, The Academy of Music, 1/4/16.   Today, we who call God many different names, and we who choose not to call to God at all, we Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist, Philadelphians of diverse neighborhoods, races, sexual orientations...

Continue reading

Refugee Resettlement: What You Can Do Today

At the foot of RS’ new Klehr Stairway we now have a bin where you can donate personal items and household goods to help the HIAS PA refugee resettlement. Please bring gently used household items, such as pots and pans, silverware, sheets, blankets, etc.  NO CLOTHING, except winter coats, hats and scarves for...

Continue reading

Showing Support to Muslims Neighbors

by Rabbi Jill Maderer In the face of the current atmosphere of fear and Islamophobia, many of us seek ways to demonstrate to Muslim neighbors that we are their allies and know the faith that they practice is not the extremism we see in the terrorists. As a start, I have...

Continue reading

Can a Reform Rabbi and an Orthodox Rabbi Light the Menorah Together? Hanukkah Candlelighting in Rittenhouse Square

Join us for the Center City Kehillah Hanukkah Candlelighting in Rittenhouse Square, Tues., Dec 8, 5:15pm!       “Since when is Hanukkah so important?” I once heard someone ask a rabbi. “Sukkot is important, Pesach is important, Shabbat is important, but Hanukkah is such a minor holiday!  Why do we give...

Continue reading

A Simple Act of Love May Tip the Balance: Dedication of the Stephen and Sandra Sheller 11th Street Family Health Center

Today, our congregants Stephen and Sandra Sheller were honored for their generosity and vision in making the expansion of the 11th Street family Health Center at Drexel University a reality.  Here is the moving speech Sandy delivered: My heart swells with gratitude and pride for this most beautiful place that is...

Continue reading